Monday, March 19, 2007

Worth the wait in an instant world

We live in an instant world. Instant coffee, instant messaging, instant car starters. We wait for nothing. We can fast forward our commercials, email our letters and drive-thru for our meals.

Everything happens so quick that when I actually am forced to wait for something; eggs to cook, Saturdays paper, a doctor to see me, life suddenly seems to move very slow. Too slow. Unbearably slow.

While toe-tapping and watch checking this morning waiting for an airline flight confirmation, I got to thinking about what is WORTH waiting for. What would I never want to be found quicker, what I wouldn't want to experience sooner, what I would hate for technology to 'speed up'. My list of what's worth waiting for includes...

- homemade pie crust. Actually, any food that's homemade. Instant potatoes scare me more than Tara Reid.

- babies.

- the third date kiss. Not the "it's the third date so we should kiss", but the "I'm so excited about you, I need to kiss you" kind.

- a proper goodbye.

- handwritten letters in the mail that confirm I'm not the only one who misspells "foreign".

- my birthday.

- someone who loves you even on the days (most especially on the days) you don't love yourself.

- garden peas.

- the shoes you adore (but cost more than your car) to come on sale.

- a glued macaroni picture addressed to you in crayon.

- an "I love you" to be said sober, fully clothed and vertical.

- movie sequels with an actual plot.

- waiting in line to meet Cinderella.

- an explanation for a broken heart, missed lunch appointment or $489 vehicle repair bill.

- seeing your favourite piece of artwork so close up your eyes can trace the paint strokes and find the pieces of hair stuck in the paint.

- the perfect wedding dress.

Suddenly waiting doesn't seem so bad.

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great post! There really are things that are worth waiting for, love your list.

Aaron said...

Digestion. :)

Bre said...

Ha! Absolutely (though I'd substitute "Sleeping Beauty" for "Cinderella)

:)

megabrooke said...

I love your list! Good idea!

Brrrr said...

I have limited myself to one Blizzard from DQ a month. That first taste of mint oreo blizzard on the first of every month is SO worth the wait.

Anonymous said...

Love the list! I agree, those are all worth the wait!

Carrie said...

I was just thinking about that myself - and everything you mentioned (especially the shoes and the kiss) are really worth waiting for.

Ally said...

Excellent. Homemade cookies, childhood, vacation, the consumption of food/drinks, and God's timing since He's always teaching me so much during the wait.

Jamie said...

So true! You put that very well. It has even made me stop and think about some things in my life. It wouldn't hurt any of us to just slow down for once!

Jay said...

I'm a slow girl at heart.

anne said...

I really like this idea.

brandy said...

Brr- I want to get on board with mint flavored anything but I can't. I have the same struggle with yogurt. I want to like it, but my body is just opposed. But, I'm glad you've found something worth waiting for!

Trixie said...

the first time you say i love you is definitely worth waiting for... :)

great post and love your blog!