Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Love means big screen tvs

So I've been reading a lot of posts about love. I suspect it's spring. There's something about not wearing 18 layers of fleece and thermal each time you leave the house that gets the libido going. Suddenly, the removal of hats and scarves and lumpy coats prove that we are not all cousins of the Michelin man. Instead, we are well-dressed people with curves, and smiles and hair that hasn't been flattened by a toque. And such discoveries can lead to love, or at the very least, a well developed case of like.

But spring and love is another story. This is about love, and love alone.

Apparently love means never having to say you're sorry. That phrase is like the 'get out of jail free' card in regards to apologizing. The phrase is everywhere and has been said so many times, it's now taken as fact. It's embroidered on pillows, agreed with on Oprah and referenced *328 times every minute in the North America when a couple fights over a missed anniversary.

And the truth is, I think it's bunk.

My experiences have taught me that love means saying sorry. Frequently. And usually with gifts that require extensive assembly or jewellery cleaner. I'm kidding, sort of. But I do believe it's the people who love you, and who you love who deserve your sorry's even more than the stranger you never see again. The people you love the most, deserve your best. So when you screw up, slip up or are just trying to make up, say sorry. And when words are not enough, say it with a big screen tv.

* I made this up. I felt my post was lacking statistics.

14 comments:

Mel said...

I'm all about saying "I'm sorry" just not doing it if you aren't sincere. I say sorry for everything all the time. If I do my (not) boyfriends dishes I apologize. If I get sad because he took a nap and didn't follow through with plans I'll actually apologize for being sad! So I'm with you love is all about saying I'm sorry (and gifts!) but just make sure it is for a good reason and not an "I'm a pushover" reason. :)

Esmerelda said...

Yep. Agreed. Love means lots of apologies...

Trixie said...

I agree with Mel.... apologize and mean it. if you aren't sincere, don't bother.

i'm sorry gifts will always appease me or at least soften me up. ;)

Aaron said...

I wish I could punch whomever said that in the teeth because they were clearly never in love.

(I heard an excellent comment on this during a sermon once. I laughed out loud - wish I could remember what it was. Oh well.)

Jennifer said...

Oh, love absolutely means saying you're sorry. Often. And meaning it.

HippieChyck said...

speaking of love, i love that you can get it up for a sweater vest. just yesterday, i was walking through the mall with my sister and saw the most divine vest-with-white-button-down combo. fantastic. of course, i bought some batteries instead.

Still Searching said...

I do agree that its the close ones that deserve our best, and that means if you screw up, you must make up for it! But I also think too many couples or people in general take the word 'sorry' very lightly... they use this very same word casually, to "get out of jail free"! So if you say it, mean it!

JustRun said...

First, I love that you all say "toque." Second, I'm sure your stats are spot on! Third, call me when you get that TV- I'd never buy one but dang, would it be cool to have one! :)

anne said...

I am terrible at the I'm sorry - I wish it meant you never had to. But in reality it means you really do a lot

Carrie said...

I agree - Love means saying sorry... and truly meaning it.

Anonymous said...

Good call on the sorry and meaning it! We apolagize to strangers all day for bumping into them and we will never see them again, it is super important to treat our closest ones as well as we can and be sincere about it.

megabrooke said...

i think the sincere, genuine apology is wonderful.

Bre said...

Big screen tv, coach bag, shiny jewelry... all are perfectly acceptable! :-p

Lefty said...

Yes, to you and everyone else: apologizing is a must when you love someone--even if you feel the other person SHOULD apologize first.

ALso, out of 11,342 blog owners surveyed, 45% believed their blogs lacked sufficient statistics, 12% were concerned their blogs had too many stats, 43% consider pie charts "delicious," and 12% realized that we already covered 100% of those surveyed and they'd have to find another survey to answer. (Margin of error: +/- 2%)