Monday, March 26, 2007

#3: Mom

(This is the third post in a series of 'women who have shaped my life'. I got this idea from Bre. Smartypants.)

I know what you are thinking. #3? This woman tortured her body to give birth to you and she's #3? She endured months of pregnancy, hours of labour, and years of sullen teenage angst for you! She spent her youthful 20's carpooling, counselling and cooking all for you, and she's #3?!

All I can say is yes.

She's #3 because I've been struggling how to describe her. I've thought of this in traffic jams, while waiting 3 minutes before rinsing my conditioner (I'm a sucker for direct directions), while shopping and bowling, working and napping. And I've finally realized I can't tell you how she's shaped me. There was no complicated goodbye, no single phone call that illuminated her influence. The idea of putting words to who she is has been rolling around in my head, leaving me frustrated because I just don't have the right words, because sometimes there is no right words, or best words. There are just the words you have.

She's unlike anyone I've ever met and I'm better for it.

She's the mom who hand painted my sneakers in elementary school so I would have shoes no one else did.
She's the mom who started her own business, and when families can't afford to send their kids, she lets them come for free.
She's the mom who put pomegranates in my lunch while all the other kids had browned apple slices.
She's the woman who (every year) risks getting kicked out of the holiday resort because she sneaks cold cokes to the beach jewellery sellers.
She's the woman who befriended a jewellery seller named Juanita and has taken her family to Wal-mart for shopping sprees, paid for her children's school uniforms and bought them chickens.
She's the mom who remembers my friends birthdays, the name of my grade 3 crush, and the day I started like onions.
She's the mom who showed me how to not be embarrassed of success (or really, really large shoe collections).
She's the mom who still has my paper crown I won as grade two class president, and she's the mom who helped me write the speech that clinched the win.
She's the mom who has had my puke on her. More than once.
She's the mom who took me to gymnastics, horse riding lessons, brownies, figure skating and cooking classes, all in the same year when I decided I wanted to 'learn about everything', and didn't once utter the word 'chauffeur'.
She's the mom who can get me at my own game.
She's the mom who taught me how to check the air in my tires, apply fake eyelashes and "say sorry like you mean it".

She isn't a perfect person, and I'm not either. We've had fights that have made the King of Sparta vs. the Persians look like a lunchtime misunderstanding. But she is mine and I am hers, and though we may violently argue over ideals and ideas, I love her just the same.

She may be #3, but realizing that the one person who told me I could be anything is the one person I want to be like... makes her incomparable.

12 comments:

megabrooke said...

beautifully written.

Anonymous said...

loved this!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post!

Anonymous said...

Amazing.

Mel said...

Wonderful!

My mom remembers every name of every boy I've ever talked about. And all the details too. :) Cheers to moms!

brandy said...

Yeah, why is it that moms can always remember the name of the boys you loved but can't remember where they put their glasses? At least that's my mom. It's nice though. If I ever forget what (gr1) crush Teddy's last name was, I know exactly who to ask! (And isn't Teddy the perfect name for a grade 1 crush?)

K.I.D. said...

What a nice post! She sounds simply amazing.

Jennifer said...

Brandy, that was beautiful. I hope my daughter can say the same things about me someday. Except the part about puke.

I hope she reads your blog.

Bre said...

I loved this to bits! Especially "But she is mine and I am hers" because it's exactly true.

I know that my mother cried when I wrote about her and that baffles me because I think it was so poorly written and that it doesn't tell enough but then... there really just aren't enough words to describe a mother!

JustRun said...

Beautiful! I love the part about the hand-painted shoes. About becoming a sap reading these posts... you and me both! Love 'em!

brandy said...

k.i.d.- Yep, she's amazing but her shoe collection is downright fantastic. (I kid. Well, sort of...)

Jennifer- I'm sure she will! (Say nice things about you I mean)

Bre- I haven't showed my mom yet, but I understand the feeling of not saying enough. Like I said before, moms are tricky!

justrun- Yes, the shoes were legendary. I sub at the school I used to attend and the teachers STILL talk about them!

m.a. c.p. said...

That was good i copi some of it Well is like my mom in some parts i'm makeing one of it so