Friday, March 9, 2007

Ordinary grief

I suppose it’s quite common to feel very small in a crowded church smelling of wet coats and baby powder. And I suppose it’s very pedestrian to wonder what you are doing with your life when you listen to a pastor talk of a boy who never really got the chance to live his. To feel that this must all be a mistake when you recognize that this baby’s first words were also his last

I suppose it’s quite common to feel your heartbreaking with an ache so intense your hand instinctively moves to your chest. To actually have your insides hurt with such a force it steals your breath and leaves you lightheaded. To realize that it is possible to cry your hardest without making a single sound. To find that sadness hasn’t swept over you- it’s invaded you.

I suppose it’s very commonplace to find yourself feel like something has broken when you see the uncle who once told you that “crying is for sissies”, openly sobbing, clenching handfuls of tissue. To see shy grown men shake their heads, hands stuffed in their pockets, not bother to wipe away their tears. To watch a mother whisper such a private and choked goodbye you have to look away, because such anguish does not need a witness. And I suppose it’s expected that you find yourself wishing you knew what to say but to finally (finally) learn that sometimes there are moments where words will not fit.

I suppose it’s very ordinary to see firsthand the difference between crying, weeping and sobbing, and to find that it is the weeping leaves you saddest- the beautiful restraint of it all seeming very brave. To close your eyes and hear what a church full of grief sounds like.

And I suppose it’s expected to revert to being a child again and to ask “Why?”. To take the frustration of no answer and want to bargain. To know that in an instant whatever you have you would give- to end the sobbing of a man who can’t stop repeating his sons name.

And I suppose it's very natural to be shocked at just how hot your tears are and how fast they can fall.

I suppose there is just nothing sadder than toys in a coffin.

9 comments:

megabrooke said...

:( Ouch. I am sorry your loss, or the loss of someone close to you.

Anonymous said...

omigosh that was so sad!!

Anonymous said...

thank Christ for KissMe mascara

what a beautifully sad entry

Anonymous said...

I've had one friend lose a child, he was two years old and died of leukemia. It was absolutely heartbreaking, I'm sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

that was the saddest thing i've ever read! :(

Jennifer said...

That is so sad. I'm so sorry for your loss, the parents' loss... So sad.

mist1 said...

Saddest last line I've read in a blog.

Ally said...

You're absolutlely right about there being nothing sadder than toys in a coffin. I still remember how horrible it was to watch my friend's parents put her Snoopy doll in her coffin--the same one we'd hidden from her just months before at a spend-the-night party. I am so glad her family knew the Lord's comfort.

Cassy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and the loss for your family/friends.

Recently a friends brother/sister-in-law lost their son just a few days after he was born. Coffin's just shouldn't be that small...