Thursday, March 1, 2007

Talk less, say more

My cranium is crammed full and heavy with the things I do not say. This is a reoccurring issue for me, and one that I suspect a therapist would get wealthy trying to understand. (I'm talking like wallpapering the master bedroom in Benjamin Franklins wealthy.) I suspect if my lovely brain was wrung out by gloved hands, a billion silvery thoughts would escape down the drain- with a majority of those thoughts being things I wish would have said, but never did.

And it's one of those quirks that gets more annoying as I get older.

To some people in my life, I say everything that I don't need to say and nothing that I do. I talk all the time unless I should say something and then I become a clueless mute with an intense interest in pocket lint. I spill my feelings about El Nino and Britney Spears and suit coats with side vents but to a few select people in my life, saying something that's important, that's necessary has never been something I could do.

And I hate that.

The funny part is, the things I want to say are good. I have no boiling rage, no intense regrets, no scary admissions. Really. I'm full of nice things to say, I just don't say them. I have insightful compliments and thoughtful condolences, encouraging observations and a few lovely secrets that I know would make people burst with happiness. I know this. And knowing I could say these things and make people feel good is what makes them necessary to say. But yet, I say nothing.

And I don't know why.

Maybe because saying nice things is more work than joking around. Or maybe it's because I've said the nice things and it didn't work out. Or maybe I talk without saying anything because it's less scary. One must always go through the scenario that after saying all your nice things you will be rewarded with the painful sound of crickets.

And really, who wants to risk that?

I suppose this is why they invented Hallmark.

6 comments:

Aaron said...

Maybe out of embarassment?

If you can't say it, spell it out. Better to be written in a letter to be said at a later date than never said at all!

megabrooke said...

I love Hallmark. I send cards to friends just about all the time. Maybe that's a way to get accross some of the nice things you want to say. You're an amazing writer and I bet a good friend would love to "read" your nice things if you don't always say them.
Happy Friday.

brandy said...

Perhaps embarrassment or maybe I'm just extremely lazy. As for Hallmark, I dig that company. I'm pretty sure my purchases have bought the CEO a yacht, complete with a gold toilet.

Anonymous said...

A while ago in another blog I read (thisfish.com) writer posted an open letter of all the things she wants to say but never does. It's a really powerful idea, but one I haven't found the courage for yet.

http://thisfish.ivillage.com/love/archives/2007/01/

Cassy said...

I agree with everyone else here as I've done it. Sometimes it's just really hard to open up, even when it's ONLY nice things you have to say... of course it can be more powerful if it's SAID but if you can't bring yourself to do it (and find yourself utterly speechless at the point at which you should say it) a letter would be just as wonderful.

Anonymous said...

speak up now or forever remain a blogger in a dead world.

we all have courage we never use
we mostly have an ego we cling to