Thursday, March 8, 2007

Dear Citibank...

Dear Citibank,
First of all, thanks for all the letters. I haven't been getting a lot of actual hold-in-my-hands-golly-gee-it's-for-me mail lately, so getting repeated envelopes addressed to me has been exciting.

I love that you are so excited to give me a credit card. All the exclamation points seem to indicate an abundance of real joy over this opportunity or a maniac sugar rush, either way- it's contagious! Guaranteed! Low Interest Rate! Pre-Approved! I almost expect a smiley face at the end of each. Maybe that's something you are working on?

And can I just say that I love that I'm pre-approved? Knowing that you like me already without ever talking to me or knowing anything about me makes me feel really good. I mean, this world is so crazy now and everyone is getting judged on how witty their bon mots are, or how sci-fi their sneakers look, or what kind of job they have yet you managed to skip all that nonsense and approve me based just on me. And that's a nice feeling. If only there were more like you Citibank, the world would be in a better place.

I also really am in love with all the different templates of credit cards you have, I have to admit they are a great signing up feature. Though I'm partial to the ladybug design, I'm not sure it's a right fit. Don't get me wrong, I love ladybugs, and I like the idea of my credit card showing that I'm intune with nature but I have a feeling that I would get tired of the lady bug. And although I do love being Canadian, the credit card covered with maple leafs isn't quite right for me either. Perhaps the mysterious plain black card would work- it reminds me of the story I heard about Jessica Simpson and her black Mastercard that apparently has no limit. If we could work out a similar deal, I think I could find time to fill out the form.

While others groan at finding yet another letter from you in their mailbox, I'm charmed at your repeated attempts. I admit it- I'm a sucker for persistence. Whether it's a credit card company or a man I should stay away from, not giving up usually means I give in. Oh, and I especially appreciate that the president of the whole Citibank shebang has taken the time to actually sign my letter. I mean, from what I gather from the website you citibank folk are pretty busy, so I appreciate the extra touches you guys are putting in. And can you pass along to him that I love his penmanship so thoughtfully displayed in his signature?

Sadly however, I don't want another credit card. I won't try and sugarcoat this since I've already called and told you. I just feel like one card is enough. And I know, I know, I should be wanting another one because I'm young and reckless and every store is putting out their spring line, but Citibank- I have to stay strong. I feel we've gotten quite close with all the recent mail and phone calls but I'm asking you to now be a good friend and support my choice. Maybe try me again in a year. Perhaps then I will be in desperate need of a card that shows my love of the maple leaf. But not today Citbank, not today.

If you want though, you can still keep sending me the letter. Like I said, the mails been a bit slow and I like finding things addressed to me. Plus, all the exclamation marks boost my mood.

Sincerely,
brandy

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ha ha! Credit cards are evil...stay away! They are the work of the devil himself :)!

anne said...

Nicely said.

Cyndi said...

Ha ha, I get those all the time too! Stay strong and (maybe) they'll eventually go away.

Bre said...

Ugh, considering how much of my tax return (which should be used on said spring lines) is going to credit card debt, let me speak as an expert: Stay away! :)

megabrooke said...

I love it. I love how you write.

Thomas said...

I just wonder when did banks stop having our best interest as their primary goal.

Aaron said...

Send the return envelope back to them. I know somebody (who gets paid) loves getting random junk-mail as much as we do.

Lefty said...

Wait a minute! You're Canadian? In that case, you are no longer pre-approved.

Love,
Your Friends at Citibank