Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Being Called the "C" Word

I admit it, I say it. A LOT.

Before I can stop myself, the 'c' word will fall out of my mouth and into casual conversation. I've called Miss Fabulous the 'c' word. I've called the kids I teach the 'c' word. My old dog, my favourite shoes, even my grandmother have all been called the 'c' word. In fact, just today I yelled it down the hallway to my boss. It would appear that I like giving the word out, but I've discovered I hate being called it by others. The 'c' word I'm referring to? Cute, of course. For some reason the word 'cute' rolls off my tongue and gets attached to many things in my life like a piece of velcro you can't shake off.

It's always been the adjective people use to describe me. I suppose it's the blond hair, or the fact that I laugh a lot. Maybe it's because I have the hobbit gene and am short. Maybe it's because I get excited easily or cry during Saturn car commercials. I don't know. I do know however, that I'd rather be called a million other things than cute.

I don't strive to be called 'sexy'. It seems like a lot of work. Perhaps it's not fair of my brain, but when I hear the word, the first thing I think of is fishnets, a red sparkly dress made out of lycra and thigh high stilettos. And long red hair. Basically, Jessica Rabbit with a little less Botox. When I think 'sexy' I just think I would be too tired to wear those shoes all day and keeping my hair red hot flaming red would take serious upkeep. Maybe I'm less cute and more lazy?

Sometimes I get 'nerdy' and it fits. Unlike those who object to it, (they are most likely to be wearing fishnets I've noticed), I don't mind it. I read a lot. I get irrationally angry when people display ignorance about war or politics. I have been known to get really happy over a sweater vest. My closet, bookcase and shoe collection are color coordinated, and I take great pleasure when others notice this. Recently, I've found myself squealing when I watch a new Harry Potter preview. See? Nerdy fits.

I've gotten 'funny' before and that one I like. Who doesn't relish the idea of feeling that what you say is worth a laugh? "Complicated" has been whispered, which is understandable, but not always appreciated. Though it seems we live in a world where 'complicated = interesting', I would prefer to be something different. Complex, perhaps, that seems like complicated's nicer cousin. Complicated reminds of people torn between huge life choices and prone to maniac cleaning spells induced by rage. And I assure you, I vacuum quite irregularly.

I started thinking about this on Saturday when a nice couple (Channel and Dan), couldn't find a table at the St. Patricks party we were at and joined ours. They seemed a bit uncomfortable at having to sit at a table of 8 girls (1 of which who was standing on a booth doing an air guitar with part of her body I'm too lady like to describe right now), so I kept asking them questions. They told me how they met, how they fell in love and the whole story was just so well... cute. I might have clapped my hands but then Dan started raving about how 'cute' I was, and the feeling passed quickly.

Maybe I don't like it because it's the term I get the most. Or because it seems like an adjective that's not very specific. It's like 'good' or 'great'. It doesn't seem like it's based on anything. I mean, puppies are cute. One could argue that at times, Colin Powell has shown cuteness. I would just like another word.

But I suppose when the time came, when the request tumbled out of my mouth, whoever had called me 'cute' would just feel that I deserved the term that much more. If my grandma threw her hands on her hips when I stuck the 'cute' term on her, and told me that being called 'cute' was silly and wanted another word, well, chances are she would seem that much cuter. Or she would seem ridiculous.

And given the choice between ridiculous and cute, I would take cute.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're superfuncool! If you're this fun in person can I nominate myself to be your new friend?

Thomas said...

So you like Bob Woodward books? I don't know too many people who do.

anne said...

You had me going there - again with the grandma!

Thomas said...

The real question - am I cute with my headband?

Beth said...

The worst for me is when an ex would tell me I was cute every time I got mad. When I was mad at him, I wanted to fight, not be told that my anger is cute! Somehow "cute" has the connatation of not being taken seriously.

Great post!

brandy said...

Ruby- anyone who says "superfuncool" is worthy of being friends with me!

Thomas- I do. And, to nerd myself up even more, I just started reading "All to human" by George Stephanopoulous and find that I'm liking that too.

e.b.- lol, I didn't even realize it. Man. Grandma's appear to be easy targets.

Thomas- Who isn't cute with a headband is a better question..

PL&P- I know what you mean. I had someone once tell me that my 'angry voice' was cute. It's really frustrating!

Anonymous said...

Okay first, I love Harry potter, but then again I watched every episode of Star Trek when I was a kid too, and I'm unapologetic about it. So what if I'm a dork?

I get "you're nuts." a lot. Any my boy calls me "Gorgeous" but only when he's been drinking. I call him "pretty" all the time as retaliation.

megabrooke said...

I hear you. Cute this and cute that, like you said, at least better than ridiculous.

Carrie said...

Yup - being called the C word can infuriate me, even though I use it to describe the majority of my friends. You don't feel like you're being taken seriously, and when you get angry it just gets worse!

Great post.

Aaron said...

This was a 'cute' post. :D

Bre said...

I prefer to be 'fabulous', but that may be because that's a word I use so darn much! Still, I get "cute" from my students an awful lot. They mean it less in the attractive sense and more of the "a bit off, but rather harmless" way.

And, uhm, are there people out there who don't squeal over Harry Potter? That's less than fabulous!

Jasika said...

Ok- you are my new favorite read.

I HATE HATE HATE being called cute. Puppies and kittens and babies and boys when you're 12 are "cute".

I'm not f-ing cute.

And YOU are ridiculously funny. How's that for a twist?

JustRun said...

I do know what you mean, I used to hate being called cute. Whether or not I believed it to be true was not the point, it just bothered me. As I get older, though, I like it. Not because I have this new found adoration for the word, I just realize now that compliments are compliments and I'll take what I can get! :)

Mel said...

I'm cute when men meet me. I'm sexy when they make out with me. Both can be interpreted to mean: I'm attracted to you(cute)/you rock my fucking world in bed(sexy) but I'll never commit to you. What I'd give to be called pretty. That would be so nice. Or beautiful. Or charming...but only men get called charming.

Ruby Tuesday said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruby Tuesday said...

I couldn't agree with this post more, I'd prefer something more along the lines of..."BRRIIcCKKkk---HHH-OUuSE!" :)

i'm signing your petition to ban the 'c' word...

Trixie said...

i would take cute anyday over ridiculous. :)

WestSideSlant said...

Brandi, let me bottom line this for you from a man's perspective--as base as it may be. Men are ruled by baser instincts.

Cute is good. Cute is intriguing. Anybody can be hot, cute takes moxy. Some argue that cute is actually hotter, than hot is cute. One day I was bored, and was randomly searching blogs. I came upon your page and thought, "Wow she's cute, I wonder what she has to say." From that, I found a writer who's work I thoroughly enjoy. The cuteness got me past the pink backround, and soft tones.

Rock on with your cuteness Brandi! Wield it, and utilize it for all that it's worth.

As always, keep up the great work.

-WSS

Anonymous said...

I heard the word cute last Saturday. I was in gap with Kidlet who is a tween. We were wearing matching St. Patrick's day shirts. The guy working there said we were cute. At first I was thinking, ok. Then it hit me...OMG! I'm wearing the same clothes as a tween and I've been called cute?!?! It was traumatic! ;)