Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Two Can Play This Game

My favourite holiday game involves me asking the people around me what would be the worst gift I could get them. When they (inevitably) say that they would be happy with whatever I got them, I go on the attack. I list off the worst possible gifts I'm considering purchasing them and watch them pretend that they would love it. Eventually however, they admit they would hulk out if I made them large installation art made out of animal bones and corn husks and I declare victory. I thought I had perfected this conversation until I called my mom today...

Me: I was just curious... what would you think if I got you an Ihop gift certificate for Christmas?

Mom: What's Ihop?

Me: International house of Pancakes.

Mom: But we don't have one here....

Me: I know. But there is one in Edmonton. You could just take the 5 hour drive for pancakes and come right back. 10 hours roundtrip, but they are pretty tasty mom.

Mom: Well, that sounds good. I'd like a great reason to go to Edmonton, I haven't had pancakes in a long time. I would hate to use this gift alone though, so I might ask you along for the trip.

Me: But I can't eat pancakes.

Mom: No, but you can have juice. Besides, wouldn't you feel bad not being there to see my appreciate my gift?

Do not try to outwit the person who brought you into the world.

Mom:1 Me: 0

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha! that's funny. I would like an IHOP GC, I LOVE their pancakes.

Jag said...

I like how a glass of juice is seen as an appropriate substitution for a stack of pancakes. That's funny.

brandy said...

Lisa, the sad truth of it is, I actually believe you.