Thursday, April 19, 2007

Bubblegum Thursday



So I'm lucky, in the random sort of way. I win random contests, accept random prizes and am STILL getting random cheques in the mail from the government of Canada who I think must really have a crush on me (Bre, if I can't find a way to spend them, I will send them your way, as you mentioned).

However.

When it comes to winning stuff based on talent, or skill, or personal effort other than writing my name and phone number on a piece of paper... not so lucky. Other than winning a handful of horse competitions and public speaking awards in my youth, the last time I really won something meaningful was grade 2 class president.

I'm still a little vague on what the presidents role in the classroom was, and considering I live in Canada, I now think class prime minister would have been more appropriate... but I was glad I was victorious. I wish I could tell you I won through hard work, determination and a *speech that moved my classmates to tears. (Actually, I think Daniel was crying in the third row because he had peed his pants at recess and was embarrassed, but that's just a hunch.) but, upon reflection I won the same way most politicians do- empty promises and vague declarations of a better tomorrow. I told them if they voted for me I would be their best friend, figure out a way to cancel math class and (this was what sealed my victory) make sure that we could chew bubblegum whenever we wanted.

Thankfully my teacher was great and said that everyone could chew gum for the day that I won and was awarded my black construction paper crown with navy and silver glitter glue decoration. I suspect she allowed the gum chewing because she realized any public, grade two or otherwise, would lynch a newly elected official who broke her biggest promise on their first day in office.

Up until yesterday, that had been my biggest win. So it was a happy surprise when I found out that I had won a 'thinking blogger' award, bestowed upon me by the always lovely and entertaining Jennifer. I haven't quite decided what to do with it, perhaps print it off and put it on a mantel. Or hang it over my bed so it's the first thing I see when I wake up. Or maybe, just maybe, I will put it on the side of my blog and so I will have a reminder that I should perhaps write about more than Snoop Dog and loincloths.

In the spirit of discussing great blogs, or blogs that are entertaining reads, I will throw a shout out to my new favourite blog. Perhaps you think I'm a biased because she is Fabulous, and maybe you are right, but I don't think so. I just think she just has a unique voice and interesting tales that are worth sharing.

And to celebrate my win, I'm declaring it bubblegum Thursday. So find some bubblegum, blow a big bubble and relish the thought that you, as an adult, can now chew bubblegum whenever the hell you feel like it, instead of waiting for a classmate to promise you the dream of one day being able to.

*As stated in a previous post, my mom did help me write my speech. It was good, made my teacher laugh and I'm pretty sure I was the only candidate who spoke of 'classroom rights'.

(Oh, and we just take a moment and marvel at the fact that I posted a picture? Or something similar to a picture? I swear, one day soon I will learn how to get that strike through font...)

16 comments:

Mel said...

< strike > then the word you want < / strike > obviously you don't want to put spaces in there I just did that so it wouldn't strike out my words :)

brandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chica said...

*whispers* You can also just use the letter 's' instead of 'strike' if you're a lazy blogger like me!

Jennifer said...

Now THAT was a beautiful acceptance speech.

I'm so very proud!

JustRun said...

Congratulations. Since I rarely think, I find it helps my rep to read the words of so many Thinkers.

Aaron said...

Congratulations!

I can write well, just not consistently. You do both well.

Bre said...

You're STILL getting them?!? Well, the good news is that you have plenty of time to save them up to spend on my birthday in June :-p

megabrooke said...

whoo hoo!! your blog always makes me think. im so happy i came accross your site.
i still dont think i can do the strike. but mel has helped me before with "♥" sweet.

aRbit said...

Congratulations on the win...you rock !
And since I didn't read your post till this morning - I think I will "celebrate" Bubblegum Friday :)

Beth said...

Congratulations! You deserve it! I always enjoy reading your posts.

Anonymous said...

Random cheques? How do I get in on this?

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! Glad I came across your blog. :)

Carrie said...

Woo hoo! Congrats brandy - that's great!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Makes up for that post that didn't get many comments huh?

Nikki Neurotic said...

congrats on the award...and thanks for stopping by my blog.

Still Searching said...

Thats very cool! Congrats :)) I like your blog a lot coz you write about such varied stuff, and your life seems to be so interesting!