Wednesday, April 25, 2007

3,000

I had a great post planned. It was going to be funny and discuss really loud grade 2 children and how they are learning about numbers in math.

However.

I can't write about it because I'm still freaking physically exhausted and emotionally bankrupt a tiny bit weepy from damn American Idol. It was the "Idol gives back" episode and I should have known to crack open a new box of kleenex when Ryan first appeared wearing his 'serious face'.

Let's recap...

Carrie Underwood singing "I'll stand by you", while taking African children to put flowers on a grave? Sob

Simon and Ryan watching 13 kids lay down on a dirt floor getting ready for bed? Sob

Being told that a baby that the camera crew picked up on the way to a clinic who had malaria (which is CURABLE, people) died before getting treatment? Sob

Every picture they showed of HIV orphans crying big fat alligator tears? Sob

Annie Lennox singing "Bridge over Troubled Water"? Sob

Because I'm working on not worrying, I decided the only way I would feel better about all of this is if I did something. So, I ordered another Gap t-shirt and another package of one bracelets. I've also decided that instead of buying 5 fat and glossy fashion magazines each month, I'll buy 2 (it's the same stuff in each one anyway), and donate the difference. It's not a lot, but it makes me feel better.

Upset that kids are dying from CURABLE disesases? Go here. As for a post about numbers, I will leave you with one I'm not soon to forget: according to Malaria No More, this CURABLE disease kills 3,000 children everyday. 3,000 doesn't sound like a lot until you start thinking of everyone you know. Do you know 3,000 people total? Imagine all of them gone tomorrow.

3,000 kids a DAY

And it's CURABLE.

I'm going to get off my soapbox now.

17 comments:

Brillig said...

Hey! Thanks for coming by my blog today! This is such a great post. It would be so easy to make a difference. (I've got one of the gap shirts too.) I can't save the whole world, but I can do something, right? This is along the lines of some things I've been thinking of lately too, so I hope it's okay if I link back to you once I get around to actually writing the post that's floating around in my brain. :D

Bre said...

Woah. I only watched part of it, because I just can't deal with Seacrest and because the babies made me sad.

You should check with your employer and see if they match donations! Mine does so now it's like i donated even more!!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! And you figured out the strike through font, big day!

Ally said...

I like the idea of intentionally giving up something like magazines and donating what you save; that's great!

brandy said...

Cyndi- I know! The strike through font did make it a big day! I even admit to doing a little dance when I got it to work!

Bre- I understand. Just because I am strangely drawn to the Seacrest I can see why others wouldn't be. And I will check out with work, that's a great idea!

Brillig- No problem and go ahead! I can't wait to read it.

brandy said...

Ally- Thanks! I figure it's going to be nice to divert the money elsewhere and on some very, very small scale my brain likes to think it's helping the environment if I buy less. Although, one can argue the magazine is already made before I bought it so it's not helping the environment, but when I start thinking like that, it turns into a worry. So for now, I'm just going to say, I like the idea too. :)

Sizzle said...

i was torn watching the show last night. on the one hand, it is great that they put all that information out there and used their media influence and trickery to get people to cough up donations and pay attention. but on the other hand, i wonder if those images will really stick and if people will really commit to continuing to pay attention and DO something.

those kinds of shows are more good than bad. definitely. i guess my cynical attitude comes from too many years of working in non-profit (and AIDS orgs) to feel like people really stick to it.

but i think it is awesome that you linked those here and that it effected you. i really appreciate this post.

megabrooke said...

it was so sad! man. the songs and the visits and the kids and everything.

oh, and thinking jordan might be booted, really topped it all off.

Anonymous said...

I welled up too!! the one that got me was the two young kids in Africa who had no parents! I'm hoping someone will adopt them.

megabrooke said...

oh and good job with the strikethrough (?) words! i still cant do it?

Beth said...

I didn't watch it, but I think it's great that you are donating to help with poverty and disease. Good for you!

Sarah N said...

Aw, thats so good of you. Like the "Friends" spisode though, is it selfless when it makes YOU feel better to donate? Hahah just kidding, and we could all take a page from your book.

Mel said...

Mag's are a scary addiction......

You have some great ideas and a great attitude. :) Keep it up lady, you rock!

Nic said...

Seriously. Saddest damn show. Ever. I watched while trying to get my art homework done and kept getting glue on my face every time I'd tear up.

While it was ham-handed at times (the Abdul's forced hugs and line of questioning come to mind), that scary-faced Josh Grobin guy got me when he sang that song with the African kids. And then when they had all the kids saying thank you at the end. Man. I can barely type it without getting choked up. (I will not cry at work. I will not cry at work....)

Anonymous said...

I didn't see that, but it sounds heartbreaking.

JustRun said...

That show got to me, too. And I think it's difficult because people tend to see those images, hurt for a while, and then forget. Which is why I'm glad this is something that is being put in front of us everywhere and all the time.

themikestand said...

We couldn't stay up late enough, so recorded it. And cried later on. Y'know, at a more convenient time. I think having kids has made me weepy at the drop of a hat -- On the plus side, I found out my couch is very absorbent.