Sunday, April 1, 2007

Me, Jack Daniels and Doogie Howser, M.D.

Before I met Jack Daniels, discovered how important reading glasses are and found myself commenting on the price of gasoline, I was a kid. I was a kid who had big expectations for herself.

When I was little, being 20 years old made you an adult. Because being 20 years old meant you weren't a teenager anymore and the only thing after a teenager was an adult. So once I was 20, I was going to be a teacher and a psychologist (apparently Doogie Howser and I drank from the same water bottle). I was going to have high heels and wear lots of pink skirts with flowers on them. I would have 2 dogs, 2 cats and a turtle named Melon.

My hair would be really long.

I would have a big house that had a porch all the way around it. I would have lots of flowers in my yard. I would have a housekeeper. I would drive a brand new red car and I would have gone to Easter Island (a place of fascination in my youth). I would have actual tea parties, call people 'darling' and wear scarves around my head when I drove.

I would be married.

My husband would look like Uncle Jesse, but would make me laugh like Joey. Sometimes we would kiss when I wanted, and if I didn't want to he would build me stuff like bookcases and take me fancy places for dinner where the forks would be as small as the ones in my playhouse. I would stay all the way up until 11pm and if I wanted, I would have vanilla cake with chocolate frosting for breakfast.

I would complain about bills, but always have enough money to pay them. I would have cloth napkins and always remember to say "may I ask who's calling?", when giving the phone to someone else. I would refinish furniture, quote Shakespeare in random conversation and own a well-used picnic basket.

I would worry about losing my wedding ring down the drain.

I'm past 20 now. A few years past, actually. And I realize that my life isn't at all what I thought it would be like. I'm my own significant other, I drive an old truck instead of a new car and I can't remember the last time I had cake for breakfast.

Am I sad that my life is so different than what I imagined? Sometimes. It does sound easier. But I'm slowly learning easier isn't always better and if this life means having more disappointments than I thought I would, I'm okay with it.

Besides, if I had the life I always thought I wanted, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know Jack,- Daniels that is.

9 comments:

Lefty said...

That's a GREAT post!

I actually had cake for breakfast on Friday. It was a spice cake with raisins and caramel icing. Very nice.

I can have cake for breakfast not because I'm an adult, but because my wife's out of town.

Jennifer said...

Small forks are overrated.

Excellent post!

Bre said...

Wow! My plan was extremely similar! I wanted horses in lieu of cats however.... and my Uncle Jesse was a fireman ;)

megabrooke said...

oh i loved this one. i wanted a lot of those same things too. i totally agree with the statement that "easier isn't always better."

Carrie said...

Me too - "easier isn't always better". Great post though - at 22 my life is nothing of what I envisioned when I was 18 ('legal' here). Would I change it? No - but it's sure interesting to look back to see where you're from and where you wanted to go from where you ended up.

anne said...

I love looking back and thinking the same thing - but realizing how much more content we are now coming by things honestly and in the way they were meant. Your own Full House will happen in its own way at its own time.

Still Searching said...

Hehehe... loved this post! Oh, the influence movies had on us when we were kids! The perfect wedding, perfect house, perfect car, perfect husband (not in that order!) which we visualised after reading many a romantic novels and watching too many "When harry met sally" kinda movies! I had dreams something like that too, and ofcourse they havent come true! They hardly do! But thats whats probably nice about them... if they did come true, you would not be as enriched in life's experience as you are now! OR so I hope!! :))

LadyWriter said...

Not knowing Jack Daniels would indeed be a tragedy. :^) And if anyone's life ever turns out like they expect, then they wouldn't be who they are or where they need to be.

Mel said...

"I can't remember the last time I had cake for breakfast."

This should be fixed very soon! At least once every few months...when you're on your period. You're entitled lol

I shudder to think of life without Jack....