Sunday, April 29, 2007

Single

My Saturday night started off very well. A good friend was in town, and to celebrate we popped open wine, marvelled at my shoes (pictures. soon. promise.) and discussed everything from The Hills, to Don Imus with equal passion. We laughed, we drank and I went out smelling of vanilla, glossed with my lipglass and doused in the "look at me, I'm bloody fantastic!" confidence that comes with a 4 drink minimum or a really good hair day.

We went to a lounge where the music was loud and the people were polished. There were camera shots and tequila shots. There were hugs to old friends and numbers exchanged to new ones. It started out being one of those nights where you hope you see everyone you ever knew because they would see you at your best- laughing, happy, surrounded by friends and wearing killer footwear.

An unfortunate circumstance found me having to state my relationship status repeatedly (or lack of relationship status to be more accurate). At first it was fine, I can throw in a joke about it, can say all the reasons I'm glad I'm not currently coupled like an animal on Noah's ark (the commitment! the chance of drama! the fact I would have to shave my legs on a regular basis!), but it didn't stop. I had to keep saying it over, and over and over again.

I'm single.

And the kicker? I'm not casually dating, not currently on the fence about a particular guy, not even secretly lusting after someone.

I'm just... single.

It was in that moment that I noticed everyone who wasn't single. I noticed the couples suctioned to each other- sweaty from dancing with hands interlaced. The ones smiling at the dancers antics knowing they would go home together and have something to talk about. The ones whispering secrets and stories no one else would ever hear.

Suddenly, I felt something that stirred my insides and left me shaken. A feeling that crept slowly up my throat and left a bad taste in my mouth. Suddenly, I felt being single wasn't fun.

There's the idea that singleness equals carefree road trips with red toes out the window. Of random sexual escapades that would make even Samantha blush. Of spur of the moment splurges, weeknight parties, drawers filled only with expensive knickers and complex nightgowns with strings and bows.

And sometimes being single is like that. It's lovely, and exciting and causes you to skip into your office or strut in the coffee shop. You feel independent and lovely and find yourself going on trips or applying for jobs you would have to think twice about if coupled.

And sometimes being single isn't like that. It's heartbreaking and lonely and causes watery eyes when you realize that when you wake from a bad dream, there's no one to tell. And you find yourself on a Saturday night wearing your best shoes, surrounded by too many people, feeling far too alone.

27 comments:

Ally said...

Often we feel the most lonely while in big groups. Hope you're feeling happier today:)

B said...

I was single for a long time before I found my present boyfriend. I had good and bad moments single and I have good and bad moments in my present relationship, that's life and I'm trying my best to enjoy it.

Sizzle said...

i KNOW that feeling. all too well.

Bre said...

You're singing my tune!

Yesterday one of my college roommates called to gush about how she's moving in with her boyfriend. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I think we had the same Saturday night

JustRun said...

I try telling myself that there are good and bad and even lonely times no matter what one's "status" may be. Sometimes I even believe it. :)

Anonymous said...

*sigh*

Those are the worst, they start off so well and then...BAM.

mist1 said...

I love being single almost as much as I love shoes.

Sarah said...

Oh, do I ever know how you feel! For pretty much all of college and all but maybe the last year of my post-college life, that was me. I'd feel single and independent and then come crashing into the reality that in that particular crowd, on that particular night, I was the only one.

I hope you're feeling cheerier today!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you basically just described my entire life :P

The Exception said...

I went through a similar experience last summer on a road trip. There are just somethings that I don't want to enjoy while being single. That said, there are somethings I don't want to enjoy as a couple either. What do you do! ;)

Sarah said...

I know how you feel too! People in couples smile sympathetically and tell me that I'll find someone, and it feels too rude to tell them that I don't believe that anymore. Just keep focusing on the fun, independent parts and the horrible times will get fewer and further between...

Still Searching said...

Its all a matter of comparison.. had you seen a couple arguing about something big or small, you'd thank your stars you weren't in that situation.. and if you see two people happy, you want that happiness for yourself.. its what you're thinking about at that moment that makes being single fun or lonely.. I'm single too, and have been for a long time.. I can't say I miss being in love! I guess I've "lost the habit"! :))

Nic said...

Shit, Brandy. You about made me tear up. Ah the empathy...

Michelle Lara said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel. Had one of those nights recently, so I invited my other recently single friend over for drinks. Felt much better after our bar session, but still woke up clutching my pillow.

megabrooke said...

see, sometimes the shoes can help us hang in there, other times it just doesn't cut it.
i so know what you're saying; i can totally relate and you captured the experience so well.

yeah pictures of the shoes please. you know, to cheer us up.

HippieChyck said...

you are so awesome, i can't even believe it! every post a fantastic snapshot of how everyone feels at some point in their lives/day.

I expect to see some red toes out the window in one of your future posts.

Anonymous said...

It's ironic that we can be so lonely when we feel so good just because of a relationship staus..

brandy said...

Ally- The moment passed, but thanks!

b- that's such a good attitude to have...

sizzle- I suppose I shouldn't like knowing other people have felt like that, but I'm glad you said you have...

Bre- "you're singing my tune", might be my new favourite saying

kathryn- And your shoes sound just as cute

justrun- You know there really is truth to that. I know coupled people who are more alone now than one they were single. Let's both keep this in mind! :)

ruby- Exactly. That's the problem. The surprise of it all. Sigh.

mist1- I would love to see your shoe collection

Sarah- That sounds like a good plan... more fun!

Ruchika- I totally agree. And lord knows that there's always some relationship drama going on each Saturday night after the drinks start flowing. Next time I will keep my eyes peeled ;)

Nic- Thanks!!

Michi- Ohh, single girl night. Sounds like a good idea...

brookem- Photos, soon I promise. In the meantime, be cheered up knowing I'm going to JT in concert! (That's my vote of which concert you should go to as well.. I mean, between the two you said you were excited to see. I would see JT.)
hippychyck- thanks! And I promise, if red toes go out the window, there will be pictures

princess extraordinare- I know!

brandy said...

cyndi- At least I know I'm not alone!

the exception- I know! That's so frustrating. But I have to say, I do love roadtrips, regardless of who's around.

Anonymous said...

i so feel ya. it sucks sometimes.

Rebecca said...

Sigh.

You captured it exactly. I'm in the same boat. Happily single and yet wistful for something I'm not sure if I really want.

Sarah said...

bahrageous-
Right before I started dating my boyfriend, I had started to wonder what I would be giving up if I actually had a successful relationship. I figured there had to be a catch...

Carrie said...

*Sigh* - those nights were the hardest my dear... especially because they DO start out SO good. It really is terrible when you have to repeat your single status because eventually you stop telling people and start defending yourself - which I always found to be cruel and unusual.

Hope you're feeling better today!

Aaron said...

Amen.

At least we can blog.

Trixie said...

been there. it sucks and not fun.

hang in there and live and enjoy life. take your best shoes and point them forward.... don't get discouraged. :)

themikestand said...

Excellent... I really enjoyed reading this, and not just for the 'expensive knickers'.

Would you consider posting this to Indie Bloggers?

Your IB Content Manager,
Mike