Monday, February 26, 2007

Lent

I'm not really religious. I'm sort of muddled when it comes to choosing a name or a face for what I believe in, but I do believe in something. And I believe that believing in something makes me feel better.

But that's not the point of this ramble. This is about Lent.

I have a friend who practices Lent and I've always been intrigued by the idea of 'giving something up'. Will power has never been one of my strong suits, but that's because I hate the idea of giving something up forever. Forty days of sacrifice? That's something I can do.

It's been explained to me that deciding what you give up should be based on what you like. Since it's about sacrifice, it should involve giving up something you enjoy. (This point was made clear when I heroically declared I would give up folding my own laundry for the next month and a half). Apparently, a lot of people give up a favourite food. I dismissed this quickly. When you've already had to give up your favourite foods (and most food in general), and find that you actually dread having to decide what to cook because there are so few options (think celiac's disease and not a zealous food watcher)... the idea of giving up more food just doesn't seem right. Maybe that's selfish but until you've ate a green pepper for dinner because nothing else in your pantry is safe... do not judge.

I was explaining the idea of Lent to a friend who got me to re-summarize what criteria people used in deciding what they gave up.

Something they enjoy.

Something (in a lot of cases) that isn't healthy.

Something that they eat or use or experience often.

Then it hit me. I know what to give up.

I just have to figure out a way to tell him.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny!! I want to hear what happens when he finds up he's the sacrifice!

Sizzle said...

uh oh. :)

Brrrr said...

ha ha. that's funny!

Bre said...

Ha! I love it! :)

I myself gave up drinking soda (which is a really hard thing!!!) and am on a forty day exercise bonanza.

Your idea sounds more fun!

Anonymous said...

a week late, but I am giving up the same thing tonight - will be even more beneficial, I think, than the year I gave up smoking, and that stuck 3 years in, so ....

Ally said...

So what did he say?

I'm giving up chocolate...and I think I'm going to add peanut butter to the list too.

megabrooke said...

ha! let us know how that goes!

CarmenSinCity said...

Good one!!!! Let us know how he takes the bad news :)

Unknown said...

I don't know who this guy is, but good luck letting him down easy.