Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Tired

I'm tired. Not in the "I just ran a marathon and feel so ALIVE but yet so tired I need a good nap and a bottle of gatorade" way but in the "I woke up today counting all the things I had to do before I could go back to sleep" sort of way.

It feels like it's a bad sign when the idea of a life exhausts you.

Maybe it's the month. Valentines Day sends a jolt of love soaked fuel to coupled people. Since I am single, I used my energy in deflecting all the conversations of love, lust and "I can't believe how much we are meant to be together" talk. Right now, I feel I have nothing to add to any conversation that includes the word love. My body is starting to physically convulse when I see yet another happy couple shopping at Safeway. It's not pretty and I'm not proud. Maybe I'm suffering a Valentines Day hangover?

Or maybe it's the weather. I'm a scarf whore but I'm getting tired of the 26 layers of long sleeves and fleece zip ups and warm socks that I must don before leaving the house. I'm tired of walking slowly, planning every step in advance, searching the sidewalk for a glorious patch of raw pavement not glazed with ice. I'm tired of thicky icy roads that become a deathtrap when your truck has tires that are more bald than Britney. I drive nervously, hunched over my steering wheel like a grandmother and feel my neck muscles get angry.

It could be my job. I love my job. I love working with kids and putting on plays and listening intently as they describe the color of icing they had on their birthday cake. But sometimes pretending that each of their new discoveries is as exciting to you as to them can leave me searching for tylenol. I'm not talking about learning how to read a challenging word, or memorizing a difficult monologue- that's the good stuff that's easy to get excited for. But showering excitement every class over new shoes or pet iguanas can be difficult and draining. Realizing that sometimes you just don't care about Roddy the iguana can make a girl feel bad.

Or maybe it's nothing so easily defined in one group- maybe it's a cluster of little things. Thinking of unreturned phone calls, unanswered questions, not understanding how to file my taxes, searching for my favourite pair of mittens I lost , or sweating under a looming deadline I set for myself in regards to a project I started for fun. Maybe I'm tired because I keep making the same mistake- missing the same people I told myself I do not miss. Maybe I'm tired because I don't understand what's happening on Lost or because today it feels like I'm the only person at work having a bad hair day. Maybe it's all of those things, or none of them. Or maybe I just need a nap.

8 comments:

Clare said...

Hi Brandy

Thanks for the message on my blog. I really enjoyed your post and look forward to coming back to read more. I'm going to bookmark you :).

WestSideSlant said...

Sounds like someone needs a vacation in a tropical climate for about a week. Thank God I live where it's 70 degrees in February. Although it was a bone rattling 53 when I headed for work this morning, like I need that madness. I actually had to locate the defrost button in my car for crying out loud!

Take care, and keep up the great work.

Brrrr said...

Sounds like the winter blues to me! It's amazing how much the weather can actually affect our moods. I bet a couple of day with clear blue sky, sunshine and warm-ish weather and you'll be singing a different tune. Or at least wearing fewer layers...

WestSideSlant said...

Brandy, I almost forgot to send you this link. Seeing as you are a fan of March Madness, this will be right up your alley. Enjoy.

http://deadspin.com/sports/college-basketball/time-to-rev-up-the-ncaa-tourney-previews-again-238210.php

megabrooke said...

Hey Brandy,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I get this tired feeling too, from time to time. So often it is the combo of what you mentioned- all those little things. Not getting what's happening on Lost is right up there, thank you for that. The bad hair day, the losing my favorite scarf. I can relate!
Hang in there. I look forward to reading more of you. :)

Anonymous said...

it's a February thing I think - am feeling that way a lot myself lately - I think that a nap on a hot sunny beach complete with a personal cabana boy is in order

oh, and I have never understood what happens on Lost

Sarah said...

I understand exactly how you feel. I recommend booking a holiday - I did that this week and feel I have so much more to look forward to now! Love your blog - a lot of what you write sounds very familiar from my life. Keep your chin up and I'm sure things will get better!

brandy said...

Clare- thanks! I did the same.

WWS- thanks for the link! I can't wait for it to begin. Last year half the fun was staring at Adam Morrison's mustache, I wonder what will be as entertaining this year?

Brrr- the weather definetly seems to be a factor, I'm feeling better already (or is it because the weekend is almost here..)

Brookem & Kathryn- I'm glad I'm not alone when it comes to Lost. I thought last night would solve some questions, but now I'm all caught up in Cindy the flight attendant and what she was going to watch...

Sarah- I read your blog and I'm so jealous!! Definitely need to consider making some travel plans. Suggestions?