Sunday, December 3, 2006

Wanted: Island Commrade

I’m in desperate need of distractions. If my ‘fight mode’ is avoidance, my current way of dealing with life in general may be classified the same. However, that doesn’t sound healthy so let’s stick with ‘needing distractions’.

In the spirit of keeping myself busying with mindless activities, I started doing yet another email survey that some clueless sap sent to me. It was pretty mundane and my clever wit can only creatively answer the question “vanilla or chocolate?” so many times. Surprisingly however was #11. Seriously, out of no where was this question. Like a diamond in the rough. Okay, that’s definitely stretching it, but it’s better than trying to defend a flavor of ice cream.

11. If you could take one person, one book, one piece of technology, one article of clothing, one CD, one object of sentimental value and 3 pieces of survival gear with you to live on a deserted island for six months, what would be your choices?

Okay, so I have to admit, I've thought of answers for each aspect of the question but my person, my deserted island comrade, is faceless. I have decided that listing the characteristics might help me narrow it down. I hate not knowing ahead of time, because what if this was to actually happen? And I had three seconds to make a choice? I need to know who I would take! On to the specifics....

1. This person must be male between the ages of 25-35- based purely on the fact that men in that category would be stronger than men or women in any other age category. And because he and I would probably have a lot in common- which is important in deserted island scenarios. Oh, and I feel strongly that this person should be a stranger. If I went with someone I knew, well... if we didn't get along, or the stress of the island brought out the worst in us, it could ruin the friendship. I know. I'm thoughtful.

2. Also, I require….someone who can do long division in their head (I would just find that fun to watch)

3. I prefer non-smokers. I envision a smoker getting angry when they go through with drawls on the island. And really, I don't want this trip to be marred by nursing someone back from the dark side.

4. He needs to be able to make sun dials and keep me posted on the time (why this is important I’m not sure. I just feel that it is)

5. Someone who understands that I am not a morning person (because if they didn’t understand that, our island experience might not be as lovely as it could be…) is absolutely necessary.

6. It's important that he has some medical training so if I cut my foot they would know what to do and would do it in the manner of "serious-yet-determined-doctor, similar to Dr. Jack on "Lost".

7. He must enjoy playing games such as "I spy", "Scrabble" and "20 Questions" (And for those of you wondering how I would get Scrabble on the deserted island, it's one of my three 'survival gear' items)

8. It would be a plus if he could wrestle a shark, catch fish and know a lot about building huts. Or at the very least, fashion a hammock out of island debris.

9. It's important that he doesn't tire of me asking questions (such as.. "what time does the sundial say now?")

10. Someone not named Wilson. It would just be weird.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name's Jeff, could I come?

brandy said...

Jeff, are you a doctor? Do you like Scrabble? Are you fond of doing manual labor alone while others rest in the tropical heat? These the questions you need to ask yourself before you volunteer.

Anonymous said...

Magical Brandy, I have thought about your questions and I would still like to come! I will even cook you pancakes!!!!!